Wednesday 1 July 2009

Another Commonwealth Crack For Concepcion?

Martin Concepcion could challenge for the Commonwealth light-middleweight title - if he wins his comeback fight this weekend.

The Leicester puncher returns to action for the first time in 13 months on a Warrior Promotions and First Team-promoted show at Birmingham's Tower Ballroom on Sunday afternoon and takes on a man he knows well, Erdington switch-hitter 'Sweet' D Mitchell.

The crowdpleasing Midlands pair battled over four heart-stopping rounds on the undercard of Amir Khan's Commonwealth lightweight title defence against Michael Gomez at the N.I.A last June, with Concepcion emerging a one-point victor in a tense battle that had the crowd on their feet throughout.

Mitchell, who holds a win over Midland Area middleweight champion Tony Randell, was rattled in the second and third rounds but managed to put the former Commonwealth title challenger on his backside in the last with a cuffing hook. Concepcion looked to be a tad off balance at the time and edged home to register win 13 in 17 (nine via stoppage).

The eagerly-anticipated rematch is set over the same distance and the 27-year-old East Midlander could be in line for another crack at the Commonwealth 11st belt, held by Manchester banger Matthew Hall - who Concepcion blasted out in a round in 2007 - if he can repeat the win over the talented and sharp Richie Woodhall-trained Brummie.

Hall bounced back to flatten Bradley Pryce, a man who knocked out Concepcion, and makes the first defence of his belt against Anthony Small next month. He is intent on destroying Small but told the Manchester Evening News he has his eyes on a revenge mission as well: "I lost my fight, no excuses, the better man won on the night. But I didn't get knocked out. Every time I went down against Concepcion I got back up.

"People say the fight shouldn't have been stopped, but I'm not saying that. I got beat and I've come back.

"One of the reasons I really want to win this next fight is so that I can have a voluntary defence and avenge my defeat."

No comments:

Post a Comment