Thursday 5 July 2012

Carruthers confident of Eubank upset


With Chris Eubank Jnr still searching for an opponent in the week leading up to his appearance on Mick Hennessy's show at the Hand Arena, Clevedon, Somerset, there were a stream of domestic middleweights sitting at the phone hoping for a call.

But it was Jon Pegg-trained British Masters champion Terry Carruthers who's been given the nod and a chance to upset the apple-cart on Saturday night [July 7] in the West Country.

"Shocked," replied Carruthers, 26, when asked how he felt when the phone rang on Monday evening.

"I'm shocked they've picked me. It's not going to be a walkover for him," he continued. "I think they've had a quick look at my record [eleven wins and six draws in 28] and are judging me on that."

This opportunity has come at a good time for the Brummie, who is riding high after back-to-back wins over Halesowen's Kevin McCauley [a ten-round points nod for the belt he's holding above] and, last time out, an upset slaying of Nottingham's highly-rated Adnan Amar over six.

He was in training for a defence of his Masters strap against ex-English light-middleweight title challenger Nick Quigley but that was cancelled and he's going to take that fitness into the Channel 5-televised six-threes this weekend.

"I've seen all of his fights and he's alright," admitted Terry of the four-bout unbeaten [two quickly] eldest son of enigmatic former two-weight world champion Chris. "But he's had everything his own way, which he won't against me."

Carruthers taps the side of his head, winking, before adding: "I know what i have to do on Saturday. I'm very confident."

No comments:

Post a Comment