Thursday 21 February 2013

Reeve lines up British title challenge

Nathan Reeve is weighing up his big-fight options after being handed the date for his next fight.

The British Masters super-flyweight champion is back in the ring on a big show at Wolverhampton Civic Hall on Saturday, March 9.

An injury to his right hand has kept Reeve out of action since his terrific title-winning effort in front of a sell-out crowd at the Park Inn Hotel last September.

His dramatic eight-round stoppage of Terry Broadbent also secured him the Northamptonshire Leisure Trust's Sportsman-of-the-Year award and  No 2 spot in top website BoxRec's ratings.

British champion Paul Butler is currently No 1 and while Reeve could challenge him this year, he could take another route to the Lonsdale belt.

Promoter Frank Maloney hopes  British and Commonwealth flyweight champion Kevin Satchell will move on to box for European and possibly world honours this year and that would create an opening for Reeve in the eight-stone division.

"I want to be mixing with the best this year - and I've got to look at what my options are," said the 23 year-old from Kingsley.

"I'm highly rated at super-flyweight, but I could make flyweight if an opportunity came along. I'm sure I would still be strong at the weight.

"It's been really frustrating since my last fight.

"The physiotherapist  said I had tendon damage and told me to rest my hand. I still went out running, but I'm a fighter, not a runner and it's been hard.   

"I've established my place as one of the top fighters in the country and haven't been able to build on it.

"I've got to keep fighting, keep winning and take my chances when they come my way."

The show at Wolverhampton Civic Hall will mark 70 years of boxing at the Black Country fight venue.

Promoter PJ Rowson is planning a day of celebration and all boxers who fought at the Civic 

Hall are invited to pick up a medal. Northampton welterweight Davey Cox was a winner there three times during his professional career in the 1980s.

Tickets for the show are available from 07725-098499 

No comments:

Post a Comment